Are You a Homeschooler Looking for an Accredited Online High School?
Are you a homeschooling parent? Elementary school and even middle school were a breeze once you got started. Right? But, now your children are ready for high school and panic has crept in. How are you going to handle Algebra and Chemistry?
Advantages of accredited online high schools
There are many advantages of switching to an accredited online school. Your teen is already acclimated to school being at home, and so the transition is usually smooth and pretty simple. Here are some great traits your teen will gain from online school:
- Independence – Online high school gives your teen an opportunity to develop independence. In most online schools, “going to school” can be done any time of day that fits your family’s lifestyle. This is a great opportunity to have your teen establish their own school schedule. Your teen knows when they are most alert for concentrating on challenging subjects like math. For instance, your teen can decide that math is best at 10:00 a.m., or that it is a good idea to take frequent breaks. Similarly, they might decide to to tackle the hardest subjects first and save the easier subjects for last.
- Problem Solving – You have a busy life and chances are your children do too. You are juggling school and play and family fun. This is an opportunity for your teen to take charge of their outside interests. The flexibility of online high school lets your child figure out how to make it all work.
- Resilience – Depending on which online school you choose, your teen may be challenged by a rigorous curriculum where they are expected to revise their assignments until they really get it. This approach to learning is called mastery or competency learning. In this approach, students see mistakes as learning opportunities and can bounce back and try new tasks.
- Critical Thinking Skills – Many online schools encourage in-depth topic analysis, detailed written communication, and creative problem-solving activities. These are important skills to prepare your child for college or a career.
What should you look for in an online high school?
- Accredited by a respected accrediting agency such as Cognia, (formerly AdvancED)
- Approved by Homeschool Base or other homeschool association
- Rigorous mastery curriculum supported by teachers certified in online education
- Proven record of student achievement
- One-to-one engagement with teachers and counselors
- Self-paced learning geared for individual student needs
- Highly rated verified parent reviews
- Access to school 24/7/365
- All course materials are available online or at a public library.
- A flexible school year for you to set your own school schedule
Whitmore School, accredited by Cognia, (formerly AdvancED), offers four Diploma Programs for students wishing to enroll full-time to earn their high school diploma. Additionally, students looking to get back on track to graduate on time can enroll in individual courses. Students enroll and begin any time of year, work at their own pace, and may take up to 12 months to complete their courses.
Whitmore School receives hundreds of positive reviews from parents and students.
Read verified reviews to learn what parents love about Whitmore at Consumer Affairs.
Read verified reviews to learn what students love about Whitmore at Niche.
Click here to read more about Mastery Learning at Whitmore School.
Written by: Ellen Ray, Principal, and parent of Alina, 2009 Whitmore School graduateSee all blog posts