4 Options to Make Up High School Credits

Written by Ellen R. | Posted in Why Whitmore

teen girl wearing jean jacket working in a laptop

Have you fallen behind in high school? Do you need to make up credits to get back on track for graduating?  Fortunately, there are several options for you:

  1. Credit Recovery

    If you have failed a course, you may be able to take a credit recovery course at your high school. Credit recovery courses are usually offered in the summer and allow you to retake the subject to earn credit. These courses are typically shortened versions of the full course and take about 6 – 8 weeks to complete. As the name implies, the goal is to recover lost credit. Most states issue a grade of “P” for pass and “F” for fail credit recovery courses. As a result, the retaken course will not improve your overall Grade Point Average.

If you prefer a classroom setting with teachers you know, this could be a good option for you. Not all school districts offer credit recovery courses. Check with your school district for credit recovery choices in your area.

  1. Community College

    Some community colleges offer high school courses in core subjects – English, science, social studies and mathematics. Students enjoy the college environment and avoid the stigma of having to go to “summer school.” A 3 credit college course will transfer as 1 high school credit.

However, many community colleges require a placement exam to be accepted, and there may be expenses such as college tuition, lab fees, and the cost of books.

Be sure to check with your school counselor to confirm that courses taken at your community college will transfer to your high school and fulfill your state’s graduation requirements.

  1. State Virtual Programs 

    Many states offer online courses tuition-free to public school students who can provide proof of residency. There are usually registration deadlines, and courses fill quickly. Therefore, plan ahead to guarantee your spot in one of these courses.

Check with your school district to find online courses or visit the ThoughtCo.com website for a list of virtual course options state-by-state.

  1. Online Courses from an Accredited Private School

    Many private online schools offer individual courses to students who need to make up credit. Be sure the private online school is accredited through a recognized educational accreditor such as Cognia, (formerly AdvancED). Always check with your school counselor to be sure that your school will transfer the credit toward meeting your graduation requirements.

Many private online schools give you the flexibility you may need:

    • Enroll and begin any time of year.
    • Go to school any time of day that fits your schedule.
    • Self-paced – no deadlines for course completion.

These features are ideal if you have other obligations that make it difficult to meet a rigid semester schedule with deadlines.

Whitmore School, accredited by AdvancED, offers four diploma programs for students wishing to enroll full-time to earn their high school diploma. Additionally, students looking to get back on track to graduate on time, can enroll in individual courses. Students enroll and begin any time of year, work at their own pace, and take up to 12 months to complete their course. Click here to read more about taking individual courses at Whitmore School.

Whitmore School receives hundreds of positive reviews from parents and students.
Read verified reviews to learn what parents love about Whitmore at Consumer Affairs.
Read verified reviews to learn what students love about Whitmore at Niche.


Written by: Ellen Ray, Principal and parent of Alina, 2008 Whitmore School graduate

May 2, 2022 in ,

See all blog posts

Convenient. Flexible. Interactive.