College Bound Students

 Bound for College

Whether you plan to attend a four-year college, or a community or technical college, you will need to research the admission requirements of the colleges to which they are applying. For example, to graduate from Whitmore School from the College Prep diploma track, you are required to complete 3.0 science credits with 2.0 credits being lab sciences. However, the college you are interested in attending may require 4 years of science with 3.0 credits being lab sciences.  Students are advised to do adequate research to give them the best advantage possible for college admission.

Selecting a college! The first thing that needs to be done is Research, Research, and more

Whitmore School College Prep graduation requirements:

4.0 credits of English
3.0 credits Social Studies (.5 credit World Geography, .5 credit US Government, 1 credit US History, 1 credit other Social Studies)
3.0 credits Science (1 credit Natural Science, 1 credit Physical Science, 1 additional Science)
3.0 credits Math (2 credits above Algebra 1)
0.5 credit PE
1.0 credit Fitness or Health
2.0 credits World Languages
1.0 credit Fine Arts
4.5 credits other courses

Community College after High School

Community colleges allow students the opportunity to explore a variety of subjects before committing to a specific course of study.  Students who are interested in attending a community college should take some time and visit the community colleges in their area.  Community colleges accept students who have graduated from our General Studies track diploma; however, you should research your community college’s specific admission requirements.

Whitmore School General Studies graduation requirements:

4.0 credits of English
2.0 credits Social Studies (.5 credit World Geography, 5. credit US Government, 1 credit World or US History)
2.0 credits Science
2.0 credits Math
0.5 credit PE
0.5 credit Fine Arts
1.0 credit Fitness or Health
6.0 credits other courses

It is a good idea to call and make an appointment with the Admission Counselor. They will be able to answer your questions.

Dual Enrollment – Community College Courses Now!

Most community colleges allow students who are in good standing at their high school to take some community college courses in their Junior or Senior year. We encourage students to explore this option at their local community college.  For many students, it affords them social interaction while giving them insight and preparation for college. Taking approved college courses will give you a head start on their degree, and the college credits will transfer to Whitmore School toward their graduation requirements. Dual Credit – a good thing!

Students who wish to take community college courses should discuss this with their guidance counselor. Whitmore School will accept community college credits toward their graduation requirements upon receiving an official transcript.  Students will also need to obtain permission from Whitmore School Educational Director who will approve courses and sign all necessary forms requested by the community college. Community college admission forms should be mailed or faxed to us.

A community college course which is 3.0 or 4.0 credits will transfer as a 1.0 credit course to Whitmore School.  A community college course which is 1 or 2 credit will transfer as a .25 or .50 credit course. Questions about credits and transferring credits should be direct to our Transcript Coordinator via the link on your Student Desk.

Links to help you:
Preparing for College

Selecting a College

Scholarships and Grants

Financial aid

From the Blog

Convenient. Flexible. Interactive.