What About College

Bound for College

Whether your child plans to attend a four-year college, community college, or technical college, you will need to research the admission requirements of the colleges to which they are applying. For example, to graduate from Whitmore School from the College Prep diploma track, students are are required to complete 3.0 Science credits (1.0 credit Natural Science, 1.0 credit Physical Science, and 1.0 credit other Science). However, the college they are interested in attending may require 4 years of science, so your child will need to take an additional science course to meet the college admission requirement.  Students are advised to do adequate research (and well in advance) to give them the best advantage possible for admission into their college of choice.

Selecting a college! The first thing that needs to be done is RESEARCH, research, and MORE research.

Taking the College Prep track does not guarantee that your child will be accepted to the college of his or her choice. Every college has different admission requirements. Find out early what the requirements are of the various colleges and/or universities your child is interested in, so you can plan to fit those courses into your child’s high school schedule.  Doing this research is the responsibility of you and your child. It is never too early to start. It is completely reasonable to begin college planning in the 9th-grade year, especially if your child might be interested in attending a competitive college.

That being said, it is also never too late to consider college. We find that even students who never planned on going to college, begin considering it after they’ve built success and confidence at Whitmore School. Your student can switch diploma tracks in Whitmore School at any time.

Whitmore School College Prep track graduation requirements:

4.0 credits of English
3.0 credits of Social Studies (0.5 credit American Government, 0.5 credit World Geography, 1.0 credit US History, and 1.0 credit other Social Studies)
3.0 credits of Science (1.0 credit Natural Science, 1.0 credit Physical Science, 1.0 credit other Science)
3.0 credits of Math (2.0 credits above Algebra 1)
0.5 credits of PE
1.0 credit of Fitness or Health
1.0 credit of Fine Arts
2.0 credits of World Languages
4.5 credits other courses
*** Students must do research and make certain he/she meets the entrance requirement for his/her college(s) of choice.

Community College after High School

Community colleges allow students the opportunity to explore a variety of subjects before committing to a specific course of study.  Students who are interested in attending a community college should take some time and visit the community colleges in their area.  Community colleges accept students who have graduated from our General Studies track diploma; however, you should research your community college’s specific admission requirements.

Whitmore School General Studies track graduation requirements:

4.0 credits of English
2.0 credits of Social Studies (0.5 credit US Government, 0.5 credit World Geography, and 1.0 credit US History or World History)
2.0 credits of Science
2.0 credits of Math
0.5 credits of PE
1.0 credit of Fitness or Health
1.0 credit of Fine Arts
6.5 credits of other courses

It is a good idea to call and make an appointment with an Admission Counselor at the college. They will be able to better answer your specific questions.

Dual Enrollment – Community College Courses Now!

Most community colleges allow students who are in good standing at their high school to take some community college courses in their Junior or Senior year of high school. We encourage students to explore this option at their local community college.  For many students, it affords them social interaction while giving them insight and preparation for college. Taking approved college courses will give your child a head start on their degree, and the college credits will transfer to Whitmore School toward their high school graduation requirements. Dual Credit – a good thing!

Students who wish to take community college courses should discuss this with their Guidance Counselor. Whitmore School will accept community college credits toward their graduation requirements upon receiving an official transcript from the college.  Students will also need to obtain permission from the Whitmore School Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction who will approve courses and sign all necessary forms requested by the community college. Community college admission forms should be mailed or faxed to us:

Whitmore School
235 High Street, Suite 508
Morgantown, WV 26505

Fax: 1-844-857-0670

A community college course that is 3.0 or 4.0 credits will transfer as a 1.0 credit course to Whitmore School.  A community college course that is 1.0 or 2.0 credits will transfer as a 0.25 or 0.5 credit course to Whitmore School. Questions about credits and transferring credits should be directed to our Transcript Coordinator via the link on either your child’s Student Desk or your Parent Desk.

Links to help you:
Preparing for College

Selecting a College

Scholarships and Grants

Financial aid

From the Blog

Convenient. Flexible. Interactive.